Why choose our BSc (Hons) Travel and Tourism degree?
This degree focuses on key areas of the fast-paced global Travel and Tourism industry. You will gain knowledge and skills for embarking on a successful and exciting career, whether in countries with well-established tourism products or in developing nations:
- Learn how the industry operates and the effects it has on local infrastructure and world economies
- Taught by a dynamic team of practitioners in the field
- Links with the Institute of Travel and Tourism
- Simulations, coursework and live projects, including consultancy or work-based learning
- Field trips, guest speakers and professional talks
- Involvement in the annual Tourism, Events and Marketing Week
- Choose your specialism from the various elective modules
- Option to gain the Digital Marketing Institute (DMI) professional qualification based on taught modules
Where will this degree take me?
The Travel and Tourism degree will equip you with skills sought after by travel and tourism companies and help you to gauge an understanding of international tourism businesses. You will develop strong business management and communication skills, broadening your job prospects. You can aim for a job in travel, tourism or hospitality management, marketing and customer services.
What will I learn?
The programme aims to enhance self-reflection and personal development. The stages of the programme are designed to facilitate increasingly challenging learning techniques as students progress.
To read more about each module in detail for this programme click here
Please see the module specification for further details; note that the specification represents the latest modules and may be subject to change.
- Semester 1 English for academic purposes, Numeracy 1, Introduction to Computer Skills, Effectiveness in the Business World
- Semester 2 English for Academic Purposes 2, Numeracy 2 Elective Modules (choose two) Understanding Accounting and Finance, Understanding Human Resources Management, Understanding Law, Understanding Management, Understanding Marketing and Events, Understanding Mathematics in Economic Environment’s, Understanding Oil and Gas, Understanding Technology, Understanding Travel and Tourism
Three and two-year degrees:
- Semester 1: Academic Skills, Management and Organisations, and Marketing and Communications
- Semester 2: Professional Skills, Customer Service Management for Travel and Tourism, Financial Decision Making for Travel and Tourism, and Fundamentals of Travel and Tourism
- Semester 3: Policy and Planning in the Tourism Industry, Employability Skills, and Elective modules (Equal to 30 Credits) Digital Marketing, Cultural Tourism, E-Tourism, and Airline, Travel Agency and Tour Operations
- Semester 4: Project/Placement Design and Implementation, and Evaluation and Reflection (Work Based/Related Learning)
- Semester 5: Emerging Themes, Strategic Planning for Travel and Tourism, and Elective modules (Choose One) Research Methods or Research and the Professional
- Semester 6: Capstone Project (Dissertation/Consultancy Project/Work Based Learning), and (Plus Electives equal to 30 Credits) Hospitality and Venue Management, Destination Marketing, Tourism Services Operations Management, Simulation of Travel and Tourism Operations, or Sustainable Tourism
Please see the programme specification for further details on this programme; note that the specification represents the latest programme structure and may be subject to change.
Applicants will normally be 18 years of age* on registration and hold one of the following (or international equivalents):
- 2 A Levels (A*-E, 32 UCAS points); New UCAS entry tariff for 2017 explained
- GSM London’s Foundation Year programme (with a minimum of 120 credits);
- Equivalent qualifications (subject to University of Plymouth approval) including: BTEC National Certificate/Diploma, Advanced Level Diploma, HNC/D, Access to HE, International Baccalaureate, Irish/Scottish Highers/Advanced
If your you are not a UK passport holder, or a UK passport holder born outside of the UK and not born in a country that appears on the published list, you may need to complete an English language test, such as the in-house GSM London English Language Proficiency Test or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test, to demonstrate you have the language skills needed to complete your degree. All of our programmes are taught in English. Once you submit your application to GSM London the Admissions team will assess it. Should your application be successful and if an English Language Test is required it will appear as a condition of offer.
You will need an IELTS score of 6.0, 5.5 in all four components (listening, reading, speaking and writing) or equivalent qualification.
Further details on English Language requirements are provided here.
*Candidates who are under 18 on registration will need to review our policy on under 18’s: Young or Vulnerable Applicants
If you do not meet the standard entry requirements, listed above, you may be able to be considered on your individual merits via our non-standard entry process.
To be considered you will need to be able to demonstrate/pass:
- A fully completed and up to date CV
- Evidence of at least 1 year of full-time work experience
- A signed and stamped work reference
- Academic interview (if required)
- Written essay (if required)
In such cases, the Admissions Team must be satisfied that the applicant has the necessary potential, knowledge or experience and motivation to follow the programme successfully.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements as listed above maybe able to apply for our Foundation Year programme.
Minimum two year professional work experience in a relevant field for consideration of direct entry.
Accreditation of prior learning:
Partial exemptions from an undergraduate programme may be obtained in accordance with the Academic Regulations dependent on the compatibility of previous study. Each case is considered on its own merit and will be, subject to the approval by University of Plymouth.
You may be required to provide an academic reference and/or personal statement.
We will not normally consider APL’s older than 3 years unless the applicant has a recent experiential learning.
Please seeAdvanced Standing and Exemptions Based on Recognition of Other Learning for further details.
2 years, £8,000 per year (£16,000 total cost)
2 years, £8,000 per year, plus Foundation Year, £6,000 (£22,000 total cost)
3 years, £6,000 per year (£18,000 total cost)
3 years, £6,000 per year, plus Foundation Year, £6,000 (£24,000 total cost)
2 years, £12,750 per year (£25,500 total cost)
2 years, £12,750 per year, plus Foundation Year, £8,500 (£34,000 total cost)
3 years, £8,500 per year (£25,500 total cost)
3 years, £8,500 per year, plus Foundation Year, £8,500 (£34,000 total cost)
Students taking the Digital Marketing module as part of their programme may also register to receive a Professional Certificate in Digital Marketing from the Digital Marketing Institute conditional on passing the module assessment. A registration fee of £300 will be applicable for this additional DMI recognition this is not covered by student loans.
Payment of the full fee is required before teaching commences. Payment plans are available, contact us for more details.
For students to be eligible for SLC funding, they must be studying a designated degree programme. Degrees at GSM London are designated each year by the Department for Education. We have made an application for this degree programme to also be designated for the 2018-19 academic year. Visit www.hefce.ac.uk/reg/desig/cdforstudents/ for more information.
Apply direct to GSM London
You can apply directly to GSM London by completing our online application form >.
Applications can also be submitted in person at one of our campuses:
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.You can do this by booking a meeting with a course advisor >.
You'll need to include the following documents with your application form:
- Originals of your qualifications
- Your CV
- One written reference from an employer or place of study
- A copy of your passport
Apply through UCAS
You can apply through UCAS by visiting the www.UCAS.com
UCAS Code Information
Institution Code Name: GSM London
Institution Code: G74
- Two year accelerated NN28
- Two year extended (with Foundation Year) NN18
- Three year NND2
- Three year extended (with Foundation Year) NNC8
Once we receive your application form and supporting documents, we will assess your application and if successful, we will issue you an offer letter detailing your enrolment date, programme cost and duration.
We will usually be in contact with you within two working days. For any questions or queries please contact email@example.com.
What happens once I submit my application?
Once we receive your fully completed application form and supporting documents, we will assess your application. If successful, we will make you an offer of place. The offer letter will contain information on the programme cost and duration.
If you choose to accept the offer you will need to return the acceptance form to the Admissions team and agree and sign the Terms and conditions (student contract). Once you have accepted your place you will be offered an induction date to commence your studies. This will be detailed in your acceptance letter.
If you have any questions or queries please contact the Admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org