Why choose our BSc (Hons) Enterprise and Small Business Development degree?
This degree is ideal for students looking to set up their own business, or to develop a business they are already running. You will be taught by professionals who have extensive experience of running businesses. It aims to create enterprising mind-sets and nurture ideas into businesses, providing the knowledge to run a successful enterprise:
- Designed in collaboration with professional bodies to ensure content reflects industry
- Specific resources available to support students develop their own entrepreneurship, so they can turn ideas into viable businesses
- Grow your business through case studies, projects and invitation to external events
- Knowledge and skills gained can be applied across a wide range of sectors and industries
- Option to gain the Digital Marketing Institute (DMI) professional qualification based on taught modules
Where will this degree take me?
The Enterprise and Small Business Development degree is designed to help you succeed in developing your own business or growing a small business through the development and enhancement your own entrepreneurial skills. Upon completion of this degree, you will be able to analyse entrepreneurial practice in terms of how it contributes to small business performance as well as developing skills to put this into practice. Career options include marketing, management consultant, HR and small business advisory as well as developing your own business.
What will I learn?
The programme is designed to enhance self-reflection and personal development. The three stages of the programme are designed to facilitate increasingly challenging learning techniques as students’ progress.
- At stage zero: embarking on the Foundation course will be the stepping stone towards achieving the degree in which your strengths can be realised. The first semester is the same for all students however in the second semester a choice of two further elective modules will be chosen to prepare for the degree you will be commencing.
- At stage one: students will focus on the principles and fundamentals of entrepreneurial activity and will be given the opportunity to define enterprise activity within the context of small business.
- At stage two: students focus on using their knowledge of enterprise to build their skills capacity and to model the required behaviour of entrepreneurs.
- At stage three: students will critically analyse and evaluate the effectiveness of various models of enterprise practice that contribute to driving organisational performance.
To read more about each module for this programme click here
Please see the module specification for further details; note that the specification represents the latest modules and may be subject to change.
- Semester 1 English for academic purposes, Numeracy 1, Introduction to Computer Skills, Effectiveness in the Business World
- Semester 2 English for Academic Purposes 2, Numeracy 2 Elective Modules (choose two) Understanding Accounting and Finance, Understanding Human Resources Management, Understanding Law, Understanding Management, Understanding Marketing and Events, Understanding Mathematics in Economic Environment’s, Understanding Oil and Gas, Understanding Technology, Understanding Travel and Tourism
Three and two-year degrees:
- Semester 1: Academic Skills, Effective Ideas Generation, and Marketing and Communications
- Semester 2: Professional Skills, and Developing an Enterprise Culture
- Semester 3: Employability Skills, Sustainable Enterprise and Social Responsibility, and Digital Marketing (dual accredited)*
- Semester 4: Project/Placement Design and Implementation, and Evaluation and Reflection (Work Based?Related Learning)
- Semester 5: Funding the Enterprise, Social Enterprise, Emerging Themes, and Elective modules (Choose One) Research Methods, or Research and the Professional
- Semester 6: Capstone Project (Dissertation/Consultancy Project/ Work Based Learning), and Elective modules (Choose Two) Strategic Management and Change, or Starting and Online Enterprise, or Stakeholder and Community Engagement, or Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
*Students have the opportunity to gain a professional qualification whilst the Digital Marketing module through registering with the DMI (See Fees section below for details) and minimum of 40% pass.
Please see the programme specification for further details on this programme; note that the specification represents the latest programme structure and may be subject to change.
Applicants will normally be 18 years of age* on registration and hold one of the following (or international equivalents):
Equivalent or lower qualifications**, ELQ, including: HNC/HND, Certificate of Higher Education, BSc/BA etc. can be considered and are subject to University of Plymouth approval.
If you are not a UK passport holder, or a UK passport holder born outside of the UK and not born in a country that appears on the published list, you may need to complete an English language test, such as the in-house GSM London English Language Proficiency Test or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test, to demonstrate you have the language skills needed to complete your degree. All of our programmes are taught in English. Once you submit your application to GSM London the Admissions team will assess it. Should your application be successful and if an English Language Test is required it will appear as a condition of offer.
You will need an IELTS score of 6.0, 5.5 in all four components (listening, reading, speaking and writing) or equivalent qualification.
Further details on English Language requirements are provided here.
*Candidates who are under 18 on registration will need to review and abide by our policy on under 18’s: Young or Vulnerable Applicants
**For further details on Equivalent or lower qualifications, ELQ, please click here.
If you do not meet the standard entry requirements, listed above, you may be able to be considered on your individual merits via our non-standard entry process.
To be considered you will need to be able to demonstrate/pass:
- Evidence of previous qualifications (if requested by Admissions)
- A fully completed and up to date CV
- Minimum one year of good work experience
- A verifiable work reference
- Academic interview (if required)
- Written essay (if required)
In such cases, the Admissions assessor must be satisfied that the applicant has the necessary potential, knowledge or experience and motivation to follow the programme successfully.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements listed above may be able to apply for our Foundation Year programme.
On successful completion of the Foundation Year, you will gain direct entry on to this degree programme.
Accreditation of prior learning:
Partial exemptions from an undergraduate programme may be obtained in accordance with the Academic Regulations dependent on the compatibility of previous study. Each case is considered on its own merit and will be, subject to the approval by University of Plymouth.
You may be required to provide an academic reference and/or personal statement.
We will not normally consider APL’s older than 3 years unless the applicant has a recent experiential learning.
Please see Advanced Standing and Exemptions Based on Recognition of Other Learning for further details.
2 years, £8,000 per year (£16,000 total cost)
2 years, £8,000 per year, plus Foundation Year, £6,000 (£22,000 total cost)
3 years, £6,000 per year (£18,000 total cost)
3 years, £6,000 per year, plus Foundation Year, £6,000 (£24,000 total cost)
2 years, £12,750 per year (£25,500 total cost)
2 years, £12,750 per year, plus Foundation Year, £8,500 (£34,000 total cost)
3 years, £8,500 per year (£25,500 total cost)
3 years, £8,500 per year, plus Foundation Year, £8,500 (£34,000 total cost)
Students taking the Digital Marketing module as part of their programme may also register to receive a Certified Professional Digital Marketing certificate from the Digital Marketing Institute (DMI) conditional on passing the module assessment. A registration fee of £300 will be applicable for this additional DMI recognition as this is not covered by student loans. *Please note, student who pay before week 8 of the semester will pay £300. Students who wish to register after this period will have until week 8 of their next semester to gain the certificate, however it will be at a cost of £350. Payment plans are available, contact us for more details.
How to apply direct to GSM London
For details on how to apply direct to GSM London see our online pre-application form >.
Applications can also be submitted in person at one of our campuses:
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.You can do this by booking a meeting with a course advisor >.
You'll need to include the following documents with your application form:
- Originals of your qualifications
- Your CV
- One written reference from an employer or place of study
- A copy of your passport
Apply through UCAS
You can apply through UCAS by visiting the www.UCAS.com
UCAS Code Information
Institution Code Name: GSM London
Institution Code: G74
- Two year accelerated 22NN
- Two year extended (with Foundation Year) NN22
- Three year N2NN
- Three year extended (with Foundation Year) N22N
Once we receive your application form and supporting documents, we will assess your application and if successful, we will issue you an offer letter detailing your enrolment date, programme cost and duration.
We will usually be in contact with you within two working days. For any questions or queries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens once I submit my application?
Once we receive your fully completed application form and supporting documents, we will assess your application. If successful, we will make you an offer of place. The offer letter will contain information on the programme cost and duration.
If you choose to accept the offer you will need to return the acceptance form to the Admissions team and agree and sign the Terms and conditions (student contract). Once you have accepted your place you will be offered an induction date to commence your studies. This will be detailed in your acceptance letter.
If you have any questions or queries please contact the Admissions team on email@example.com