What happens if I've had finance previously?

You can usually only receive student finance support for your first undergraduate degree from a UK university or college, even if you have previously self-funded your studies. If you are eligible, then you are entitled to funding for the length of the course you wish to study plus one extra year, minus the years of previous study.

For example, if you previously studied for one year on a course but would now like to study a three-year undergraduate degree at GSM London, you would still be entitled for funding for those three years.

However, if you have previously studied for two years and would now like to study a three-year degree at GSM London, you would be entitled to two years of funding but would need to self-fund the first year.

Compelling personal reasons
If you have compelling personal reasons as to why you didn’t complete your previous course then you may be entitled to further funding on these grounds. You must be able to provide evidence of this, such as:

  • medical evidence from your GP
  • evidence from Social Services
  • evidence from the student advisory service at your previous university or college

Students with personal issues should always contact their student advisory service before withdrawing from their course as evidence may need to be submitted to Student Finance England if the student starts a new course at another institution.

Still confused?
Ask the Finance Team If you're still unsure of the situation regarding previous finance, our Finance Team is here to help. You can either drop in and see them on campus or contact them using the details below:

Phone: 020 8003 3803

Greenwich Campus:
Greenford Campus:

  • Let's keep in touch...