Why choose a Foundation Year?
Starting a degree-level study when you have little or no recent academic experience can be a real challenge. It’s not a question of your ability or commitment — you may not have the learning tools necessary to do yourself justice, and that will undermine your confidence and your chances of completing the programme successfully.
Our integrated Foundation Year offers a perfect solution, by preparing you for success in your degree-level studies. It helps you to:
- Develop your core skills in English, numeracy, computing and effectiveness in the business world
- Try your hand at two different subjects before choosing your degree programme
- Build your confidence so you believe in your abilities as a student
- Identify your natural strengths and discover how to make the most of them
- Become a capable and independent learner with help from your personal tutor
The integrated Foundation Year is not an access programme: it will automatically register you onto your chosen degree programme, once you have successfully completed all modules.
What will I learn?
The Foundation Year curriculum combines compulsory and elective modules. It has eight modules across two semesters. All BA, BSc and LLB students will study the core modules of:
- English for Academic Purposes (2 modules, one each semester)
- Numeracy (2 modules, one each semester)
- Introduction to Computer Skills
- Effectiveness in the Business World
In semester two you’ll have a choice of two elective modules, giving you insight into two different degree-course topics. You can choose from:
- Understanding Human Resources Management
- Understanding Law (If you are pursuing Law, you must choose this module and achieve an overall pass mark of 60% and a pass of minimum 40% in this module)
- Understanding Accounting and Finance
- Understanding Management
- Understanding Marketing and Events
- Understanding Mathematics in Economic Environments
- Understanding Oil and Gas
- Understanding Technology
- Understanding Travel and Tourism
Degrees with Foundation Year
Passing the Foundation Year proves that you have acquired the skills and knowledge needed to move to the next level of
your GSM London Bachelors degree and will set you up to to continue expanding those skills on the course of your choice. You will be able to study a degree in one of these subjects:
- Accounting and Finance
- App Development for Digital Business
- Business Management with Creative Industries
- Business Management
- Business Management with E-commerce
- Enterprise and Small Business Development
- Events and Entertainment Management
- Human Resources with Management
- Oil and Gas Management
- Professional Management (part-time, for individuals in employment)
- Travel and Tourism
*Please note: To automatically register on to our LLB (Hons) degree programme you must have completed all modules, achieving an overall pass mark of 60% and a pass of minimum 40% in the ‘Understanding Law’ module.
The first stage of the programme is the Bachelor's Degree Extended (Foundation Year) qualification, studied over two semesters with eight taught modules, each worth 15 credits. This initial stage of the programme is designed to prepare students for their course by developing self-confidence, core practical degree skills, and essential knowledge of degree-level topics including business awareness.
The next element of the programme is the full Bachelor’s degree, and consists of three stages. There are six subjects at each stage, with three subjects in any semester. Each stage takes eight months (two semesters) to complete.
Assessment is made on a continuous basis, taking programme work, group project-work and examination results into consideration. Formal examinations take place at the end of every semester.
Continuous assessment throughout the degree emulates the business environment by placing an emphasis on the consistent intensity of work demands.
Applicants will normally be 18 years of age* on registration and hold the following qualifications (or international equivalents):
- 5 GCSEs (at grade A-C) or equivalent qualifications
If English is not your first language you will be required to provide proof of fluency prior to the start of the programme, you will need an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent qualification.
Please see www.gsmlondon.ac.uk/englishlanguagerequirements for further details.
*Candidates who are under 18 on registration will need to review our policy on under 18’s: www.gsmlondon.ac.uk/b3-young-or-vulnerable-applicants
If you do not meet the standard entry requirements, listed above, you may be able to be considered on your individual merits via our non-standard entry process.
To be considered you will need to be able to demonstrate/pass:
- A fully completed and up to date CV
- Evidence of at least 1 year of full-time work experience
- A signed and stamped work reference
- Academic interview (if required)
- Written essay (if required)
In such cases, the Admissions Team must be satisfied that the applicant has the necessary potential, knowledge or experience and motivation to follow the programme successfully.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements as listed above maybe able to apply for our Foundation Year programme.
On successful completion of the Foundation Year you will gain direct entry on to this degree programme, read more about our Foundation Year programme.
The tuition fees for the Foundation Year are currently £6000. To discuss the various funding options available to you, contact one of our dedicated student finance team on 020 8516 7850 or by email: email@example.com
How to apply
Interested in studying our extended Bachelor’s degree programme with integrated Foundation year? You can apply online >
If you’re unsure if you qualify or would like advice concerning your eligibility for your chosen programme please contact a course advisor on 020 8516 7850 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Course advisors are available for informal personal consultations to help ensure you choose the right programme, compatible with your career and educational goals.